After a number of emails in the past few days, I have set up a Google group called “Bike Sharing Research and Practice” for everyone who is interested in shared bicycle systems. If that includes you, please join!
The (pre-group) list was also recently sharing a number of research papers related to bike sharing systems around the world. I’ve been collecting the links to number of them; here they are (some are missing reference details):
- [pdf] J. Froehlich, J. Neumann, N. Oliver. Sensing and Predicting the Pulse of the City through Shared Bicycling. In 21st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), July 2009.
- [pdf] J. Froehlich, J. Neumann, N. Oliver. Measuring the Pulse of the City through Shared Bicycle Programs. In International Workshop on Urban, Community and Social Applications of Networked Sensing Systems (UrbanSense), November 2008.
- [arxiv] A. Kaltenbrunner, R. Meza, J. Grivolla, J. Codina, R. Banchs. Bicycle Cycles and Mobility Patterns: Exploring and Characterizing Data from A Community Bicycle Program.
- [pdf] A. Kaltenbrunner, R. Meza, J. Grivolla, J. Codina, R. Banchs. Urban Cycles and Mobility Patterns: Exploring and Predicting Trends in a Bicycle-based Public Transport System. In Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Vol. 6 Issue 4, August 2010.
- R. Nair, E. Miller-Hooks, R. C. Hampshire, A. Busic. Large-Scale Bicycle Sharing Systems: Analysis of Velib. (submitted for publication; there are further papers in review/under submission on Rahul Nair’s website).
- [pdf] M. Benchimol, P. Benchimol, B. Chappert, A. De la Taille, F. Laroche, F. Meunier, L. Robinet. Balancing the Stations of a Self-Service “Bike Hire” System.
- [link] “Shared Bicycles in a City: A Signal Processing and Data Analysis Perspective”, Pierre Borgnat, Céline Robardet, Jean-Baptiste Rouquier, Eric Fleury, Patrice Abry, Patrick Flandrin, accepted to Advances in Complex Systems, 12/2010
- [link] “Spatial analysis of dynamic movements of Vélo’v, Lyon’s shared bicycle program”, P. Borgnat, E. Fleury, C. Robardet, A. Scherrer, European Conference on Complex Systems, ECCS’09, Warwick University (UK), 21-25 September 2009
- [link] “Studying Lyon’s Vélo’V: A Statistical Cyclic Model”, P. Borgnat, P. Abry, P. Flandrin, J.-B. Rouquier, European Conference on Complex Systems, ECCS’09, Warwick University (UK), 21-25 September 2009
- [pdf] D. Chemla, F. Meunier, R. W. Calvo. Balancing a Bike-Sharing System with Multiple Vehicles. 2009.
- [pdf] P. deMaio. Bike-sharing: History, Impacts, Models of Provision, and Future. Journal of Public Transportation 12 41–56.
- R. C. Hampshire, A. Busic. A Stochastic Model and Optimization for Bike Sharing Programs. (working paper, 2011)
- P. Jensen, J. Rouquier, N. Ovtracht, C. Robardet. Characterizing the Speed and Paths of Shared Bicycles in Lyon. 2010. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 15.
- G. R. Krykewycz, J. Rocks, B. Bonnette, F. Jaskiewicz. Defining a Primary Market and Estimating Demand for Major Bicycle-Sharing Program in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2143 117–124. 2011.
- J. Lin, T. Yang. Strategic Design of Public Bicycle Sharing Systems with Service Level Constraints. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 47(2) 284 – 294. 2011.
- obis (project). 2011. Analysis of Existing Bike Sharing Systems in European Cities .
- T. Raviv, M Tzur, I. A. Forma. Static Repositioning in a Bike-Sharing System: Models and Solution Approaches. 2010.
- S. Shaheen, S. Guzman, H. Zhang. Bikesharing in Europe, the Americas, and Asia: Past, Present, and Future. Journal Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2143 159–167. 2010.
- [pdf] I. Wang, S. Jia, C. Chow, T. Mabel. Bicycle-sharing system: Deployment, Utilization and the Value of Re-Distribution.
- N. Lathia, S. Ahmed, L. Capra. Measuring the Impact of Opening the London Shared Bicycle Scheme to Casual Users. In Transportation Research Part C, accepted December 2011.
- Bike Share visualisations/maps by Oliver O’Brien (site)